Monday, October 8, 2012

Learning to Walk Again

These last two months have been a new kind of challenge for me.  I am relearning to walk.  That might sound silly from someone how has been moving on two feet for more than 30 years, but it is true.  I have not been able to walk biomechanically correct for most of my life.  I remember when my half-body cast was removed at age 7 after my legs had been immobile for 4 weeks.  The medical providers told me to go ahead and walk--easy for them to say.  I took two steps and collapsed due to insufficient muscle strength.  It was so scary.  Based on my short life experience, I didn't think I would be able to walk again.  I was terrified to try another step.  After about a week (and a memorable pep talk from my aunt), I figured out how to walk on two legs again without the help of crutches, but I developed some bad habits in order to compensate for muscle weakness and limited range of motion.

So 28 years later, after two months of physical therapy, I am able to walk more normally.  This is a huge deal for me.  I honestly had very little hope that my gait would change.  There were several reasons why I haven't been able to walk correctly:  one was that I didn't have the necessary range of motion in my hip, the second was that I didn't have enough muscle strength throughout the motion, and the third was learned behavior.  All of these hurdles are requiring perseverance (and pain) to work through. 

I am so thankful for an amazing physical therapist who has guided me through this process--as I do my exercises, I pray for the Lord to bless her.  I am very grateful to be improving in ways I didn't think were possible for me.

This whole process has reminded me that there is hope even when we do not see.  "Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience"  (Romans 8:24b-25).    "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful."  (Hebrews 10:23)

No comments: