Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Why Pray?

A little over a week ago, I had thought-provoking conversations with two groups of friends about prayer.  The first discussion was prompted by a sermon referencing the Lord's Prayer as a model for prayer. After reflecting more on these ideas, I felt like I had an "aha moment," so I thought I would write it here. 

During the first conversation my friend "G" asked a couple questions along these lines, "Why do we need to pray if God is already going to do what He is going to do?"   If God is omnipotent and omnipresent, it is unlikely that He needs our help to accomplish His will, so there must be other reasons for prayer.

I brought up the account in the book of Genesis where Abraham and God discuss the fate of Sodom.  It seems that Abraham was able to negotiate with God.  In the end, the city was destroyed because there were fewer than 10 righteous people there, but God spares Lot and his two daughters.  Although the city wasn't spared, God agreed with Abraham's desire that the righteous be spared destruction.  There are other cases where prayer changes the outcome.  We see Moses imploring that the Lord relent from His anger toward the Israelites, and God relents (Exodus 32:11-14).  Then there is Hezekiah who turns his face toward the wall and asks for his life to be extended, and God honors his request (2 Kings 20:1-11).  

Then there is the case of Jesus praying to the Father in the Garden asking for the cup to be taken from Him (Luke 22:39-46), but it was the Father's will for Jesus to die on the cross to take the penalty of sin for those who will believe on His name.  Jesus asks His disciples to watch and pray with Him, but they fall asleep.  What did He want them to be praying and why?

The Scriptures tell us to pray for the peace of Jerusalem.  Why do that if we know from the rest of the Bible that there will be trouble there?  I think it is to be praying in line with God's will, and that is the overall conclusion I realized from the discussions. 

We pray, not to tell God what we think He should do, but to listen to His voice and to be receptive to what He is saying to us.   We pray to communicate in a real way with the Creator of the universe.  How awesome is that!  If we want to be in God's will, then praying God's will from the Scripture is a good way to start.  Our hearts will continue to be molded into His image.

"Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven." 

5 comments:

Melissa A said...

I remember that conversation. :)

eno said...

Yes, Melissa, you were one of the ones making that such a great discussion.

andyreed said...

I was telling my family how much I love talking to you because you get the way I think. I would agree with what you wrote.....praying for specific things that God has already said....thanking Him, giving Him no rest.

andyreed said...

BTW, I have no idea why that says andyreed. It is mama reed.

Gale Dashner said...

I have often wondered this same thing about praying. You explain it very well. Thanks for sharing your insight!