Monday, September 24, 2012

Diving into Grace

Over the past couple weeks, I have been thinking about God's grace.  It started with a song called "Sometimes" by the David Crowder Band which is about allowing God to bring healing; it has a line in it that says, "this is the ocean and it's only grace."    At a recent womens retreat, I played this song after I had shared about being willing to look at areas in our lives that are holding us back (see previous post).  I was talking to someone privately afterward about what I had shared, and I told her that I felt like I was standing at the end of a diving board psyching myself up to jump in--meaning that I knew I needed to go head first into the healing process, but I was a little apprehensive about it.

About a half hour later, a different woman came up to me and said that while I had been speaking in front of the group about an hour earlier, she had drawn a picture in her journal and she felt that it was from the Lord.  As soon as she held up the picture, I started crying.  I couldn't believe it.  The image was in the shape of a heart and inside the heart was a woman jumping off a diving board into a body of water with the sun shining in the background.   I asked her what she thought it meant, and she said the water was an ocean of grace, the sun was the Son (Jesus) and the heart was God's love.  She didn't mention the diving board.  Then I told her about how I had just told another woman about feeling like I was standing at the edge of a diving board.  Now the whole picture made sense.

Yes, I was standing on the edge of a diving board, but I didn't need to be afraid because I was diving into grace with the light of the Son and God's love surrounding me.  It doesn't get any better than that.

"...we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain. For he says,
    'In a favorable time I listened to you,
        and in a day of salvation I have helped you.'
    Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation."
(2 Corinthians 6:1-2 ESV)

No comments: