Sunday, July 15, 2007

Good at Being Grumpy

I was telling my sister today, "I don't want to be grumpy, but I am so good at it." It is at these points in time that I have to make a serious effort to dwell on positive things to get an attitude adjustment. That is why the Scriptures tell us, in Phil 4:8, "...whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." I am also reminded of what Paul writes in Romans 7:9 "For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing." It is no surprise that even though I don't want to be a grouch I keep doing it because my flesh likes to dwell on the ugly, negative things. Life is so much better when I dwell on good things; unfortunately, the battle continues...

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Hi Eno, This is the third time I'm making a comment.....Let's see if it works this time! I agree that we make a choice whether to be negative or positive....when I am grumpy, I also think there is a good reason for it and blame someone else for it!!!! It doesn't seem like I have that kind of power over others.....so no one has that power over me..... or you..... or anyone!!!!! It is really up to us to be responsible even in this.

eno said...

Deborah- I am glad you were persistent in making your comment. It is great to get feedback from readers. I agree--we too often choose to lose our joy.