Tuesday, May 20, 2008

When all the pieces fit

I have been in a situation at work where I always feel overworked and understaffed. I have recently hired 2 more people to off-load some of the work, and they were immediately very busy (and I am still very busy). What was I thinking? I guess I bite off more than I can chew sometimes. It all sounds simple on paper.

I have learned a couple things from this experience. The first is that I can be many times more effective by delegating (I have had to work on retraining my brain in this area because as a grad student I had to do everything myself for my projects). The second lesson is that there is no substitute for quality workers. Finding people who are dependable and attentive to details is not always easy but so valuable. I don't know what I would have done at this point in time if I had not taken the risk to hire more people. Fortunately, the Lord put good people in my path--I am blessed.

No comments: