Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Simplified Life?

I decided a couple years ago that I wanted to simplify my life--to slow down and not run myself ragged. I don't know how good of a job I am doing in keeping with that idea. It feels like I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything that is on my list. How does that happen?

Maybe there is a false perception about technology. Because technology "makes our lives easier," which it does in many cases, we might think that our lives will be less complicated. That is not necessarily the case. I was talking to my mom last night and she was mentioning how 40 years ago, very large educational programs were run by one secretary. They had methods for charting out their filing systems for quick access to information. Now she says that in those same places (with fewer students) they have a team of office staff in order to handle the load. I was telling her that maybe the expectations are different now--perhaps we expect to have answers/solutions much more quickly than in the past.

I would venture to say that because technology has made some tasks so much easier (running water from a tap, throwing our clothes into the washing machine, driving a car to the store, doing our banking online), we tend to try to pack more into a day. We have much less patient when we want something, so our frustrations become greater. My mom was also telling me that my grandmother designated one day each week for a different task: cleaning, baking, cleaning, shopping, laundry, & ironing. Now we think all of those things should be done in a flash, so we can get on with all of our other things.

So here I am writing a post on my blog (it was on my to-do list).

No comments: